Comfort Dog MinistryA Comfort Dog Ministry brings the mercy, compassion, presence, and proclamation of Jesus Christ to those suffering and in need.
Trinity's Comfort Dog Arrives June 23, 2018Passing the Vest Ceremony June 30 & July 1
Join us at any of four worship services on the weekend of June 30 & July 31 for the Passing of the Vest ceremony where Trinity’s Comfort Dog is officially presented to the congregation by Lutheran Church Charities. Join us Saturday, June 30 at 6pm, or Sunday July 1 at either 8am, 930am or 11am. After each Sunday service there will be a cake and coffee reception where everyone will have an opportunity to meet and greet Trinity’s comfort dog as well as members of the Comfort Dog Ministry Team, and friends and supporters of this ministry.
Trinity Lutheran Church has partnered with Lutheran Church Charities (LCC), a national Lutheran Church Missouri Synod ministry based in Northbrook, IL, to utilize the unique traits of a dog to bring comfort, help and hope by visiting individuals in our community, and touching people who are hurting or in need. The Comfort Dog Ministry is a bridge for compassionate ministry, opening doors for conversation about faith and creating opportunities to share the Mercy, Compassion, Presence, and Proclamation of Jesus Christ.
Sometimes comfort walks in on four paws…
Trinity Downtown is currently “in waiting” for our Comfort Dog, which we expect to arrive this summer! Listed to the right are K-9 Comfort Dogs in training – one of those Golden Retriever puppies will be assigned to Trinity Downtown.
The AKC certified purebred Golden Retriever assigned to Trinity Downtown will have over 2,000 hours of training to a service dog level and will understand some thirty commands. Comfort Dogs are taught to be passive and gentle when working with the public. A dog is an effective comforter because they make people feel safe…….they are non-judgmental and demonstrate unconditional love. Their simple presence is calming and healing and encourages people to talk about their distress and begin the healing process. Comfort Dogs calm people, work with special needs individuals, veterans and the elderly, and are used in counseling situations. They also deploy to crisis or disaster situations.
A Comfort dog work six days a week sharing care and compassion in schools, senior centers/nursing homes, hospitals, veteran/military organizations and events, community organizations, charities and also deploy in crisis or disaster situations when requested. The ministry will only go where invited, it will never intrude.
COMPLETE! Fundraising Goal #1 Completed: $15,000
- Initial payment to LCC for dog & training
Final payment to LCC Airfare and Expenses for Top Dog training in Chicago (May 2017)
Current Fundraising Goal #2: $17,000
- Equipment & Supplies for Dog @ Primary Caretaker Home
- Licenses & Certifications
- Three Vests (K-9 Comfort Dog Ministry, Kare-9 Military Ministry, K-9 Police Ministry)
- Comfort Dog Cards
- Fundraising Gifts
- First Year Vaccinations
- Prescriptions (heartworm & flea prevention)
- Passing of the Leash Expenses
Comfort Dog Handler training/travel to Chicago
- lodging and meals
What’s next in the process
- Top Dog Training In May 2017 Trinity sent its Top Dogs (Ministry Team Leaders) Eric and Wendy Havens for training.
- Handler Applications & Selection From the Comfort Dog Ministry Team, several have come forward to apply as Handlers. LCC will interview applicants and make selections based on the specific needs of Trinity’s Comfort Dog Ministry.
- JUNE 20-23 Handler & Companion Training Before we receive our Dog (Summer 2018) our Top Dogs and newly approved Handlers will fly to Chicogo for an in-depth training with LCC trainers over a three day period. Companions will also receive instuction, including observing some of the Handler training.
- Happening Now! Comfort Dog Selection Our Comfort Dog placement is decided when a puppy has completed training.
- JUNE 30-31 Passing of the Vest Ceremony Our Comfort Dog will be officially presented to Trinity at a “Passing of the Vest” ceremony during worship services at Trinity Downtown.
Learn more about what a Comfort Dog does through this entertaining video summarizing the ministry. “Wags-n-Tales” was produced and directed by Ken Fay of Christ The King Lutheran Church in Newtown, CT and won an Emmy in 2014.
Please partner with us in bringing an LCC K-9 Comfort Dog to Orlando through Trinity Downtown. Trinity’s Comfort Dog Ministry is funded entirely by the generous donations of people like YOU.
Trinity Members may donate through our contributions portal link below (which will add it to your annual giving statment) or through the public Go Fund Me page above
Which puppy will be Trinity’s Comfort Dog?
Contact Us: ComfortDog@TrinityDowntown.com
Trinity is eagerly anticipating the arrival of its first LCC Comfort Dog! In preparation for the puppy's arrival, the Comfort Dog Ministry Team organized a Puppy Shower so that everyone had an opportunity to participate in providing something on the long...read more
Using our God-given gifts to to serve others is a big priority at Trinity, so when you see 40-50 preschool children and their teachers, digging their hands into goopy ingredients to make doggy treats to share as a fundraising opportunity for Trinity ministry... it...read more
Trinity Downtown is well represented by Eric & Wendy Havens at the Top Dog training going on now at Lutheran Church Charities K-9 Comfort Dog Headquarters in Illinois! Eric and Wendy will serve as Caretaker for Trinity's Comfort Dog, while Wendy serves as "Top Dog,"...read more